What is BitLocker drive encryption?
It is an excellent encoding feature gift in Window Vista and later Window versions. It had been a style to supply protection to special laptop information files. So another person can’t see important data files. It prevents data lose to any unauthorized person. Even in case if the personal computer or hard-drive got theft. BitLocker drive encryption is also considered by pro-person.
Note: Most of the computer we buy does not support BitLocker drive encryption feature. BitLocker drive encryption requires Enterprise and Professional edition of window 10 and window 8, and ultimate version of window 7. Window 8.1 also supports BitLocker drive encryption in Home and Professional edition.
What BitLocker drive encryption can do:
As we have already mentioned above. It saves computer data accessible by the unauthorized person. Window Vista Window 7, Window 8, Window 8.1 and window 10 supports BitLocker drive encryption. It is also available for server 2008 and server 2008 R2. Window 7 provides great ability to encrypt external removable devices function known as BitLocker to GO. It gives great ability to encrypt external drives such as USB flash drive and USB port hard disk.
What BitLocker drive encryption cannot do:
While the window is running BitLocker drive encryption cannot protect computer contents. It is designed to protect offline attacks. Unauthorized access comes in form. Malicious user tries to connect via network if he gets access to your physical network. Then he can access data from a computer.
To prevent this, a user should apply strict permission to local network and computer. So the computer will be more secure from the malicious user who tries to access a computer via the network.
How to apply BitLocker drive encryption?
1) We should press the right mouse button and select option name “turn on BitLocker” on the drive to which we are going to apply a password.
2) The screen can appear with “BitLocker Drive Encryption” with many alternative ways of unlocking techniques for the drive. If computer drives which we are encrypting do not have TPM, then we can unlock the device with password and flash drive used as a password key.
On the other hand, if the computer does not have TPM, then we will have a choice to unlock drive at startup automatically and other options will also be available such as unlock with the smart card or with the password.
3) We can also back up password key. If we lose the main key, backup is helpful. We can unlock computer with recovery key. Microsoft account, flash drive, a text file can store the backup key. We can also print key on paper.
4) There are two options in BitLocker drive encryption. Selecting the first option will encrypt data automatically, which we insert into drive and other second option we will encrypt entire drive data and also free space will be encrypted. The first choice is healthier and quicker for brand new personal computers that may not protect free memory but information are encrypted itself, as we tend to insert in the drive.
5) The last step is Finishing up. It can take time from seconds to minutes or may take longer time depending on the size of encrypting drive data. If we want to encrypt computer system drive. For that, mark the choice mentioned as “Run BitLocker drive encryption system check” and click on continues. After completion restarts the computer.